Friday, 26 July 2013

Susan Hill | The Woman In Black



BOO! So I finished The Woman In Black by Susan Hill. Yes, the book that the film is based on. Based on quite loosely, I must say. Having already seen the film, I was patiently waiting for the part where the little boy rises out of the marshes, which unfortunately didn't come. Nor did quite a few scenes from the film, but oh well. I did feel though that a lot of tension was created by the reader not knowing what was going on, which of course I did, but I tried to go along with it and it was scary...but in a pantomime way. Arthur's smashed his torch and even the dog he's borrowed won't enter a room, and all you can do is kind of sit there and think, "Oh no, don't do that, are you mad?" kind of thing. There were parts where you got the shivers and had to look over your shoulder, and I would recommend this, but mainly as a comparison to the film. I give this a 3/5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment