Tuesday, 23 July 2013

Alice Kuipers | Life On The Refrigerator Door



Claire and her mom share the same house but they live on different planets...
Life On The Refrigerator Door is a book written in the form of notes left on a kitchen fridge. It shows how Claire and her Mum desperately try to strengthen bonds as times runs out and they have little to show for 15 years worth of living under the same roof.

In the book, you feel as if you are a third person living with the two characters, as if you happen to be in on the situation by glimpsing at the notes as you walk by or take something from the fridge. I liked this style as it was something I hadn't come across before, but considering it's original price was £5.99 and the 226 pages (with one short note on each) took me about 15 minutes to read, I'm not sure it has much bang for it's buck.

The book progresses well, beginning with formal shopping lists and ending with paragraphs proclaiming love. I think that the notes from the Mum's point of view are good, but being the same age as Claire myself, I don't think her writing style was exactly right. I thought the notes felt a bit cheesy, and written like dialogue, frequently using names and terms of endearment like 'honey' that you probably wouldn't really write down in a note. I would also question how Claire writes 20 exclamation and question marks after things. I mean, who has time for that when you're struggling to renew relationships with a Mum fighting a losing battle against cancer?

Despite reviews telling me I will cry - I didn't -, I thought this was a light, fast read, good for people who have short periods of time to fill, especially if they need to stop quickly and at convenient points. Overall, I give this 3/5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment