Tuesday, 25 June 2013

Gabrielle Zevin | Memoirs Of A Teenage Amnesiac


Memoirs is the first 'love' story I've ever read. I was a bit dubious to start with having not entirely expected it, but I have to tell you, one thing I didn't expect was feels! Is there a fandom for this book? Anyway, I read the first chapter when I should've been asleep and it was so perfect I was jumping around and doing excited headstands. Asdfhjl.

First off, I hate it when stunning covers don't even get noted so can we please spend a minute just enjoying this one. Being a lover of all things vintage myself (and hopefully getting my own one soon!), the theme of typewriters and Will's love of old things was absolutely amazing.

Secondly, some of the writing in this is stunning. Where some people adore John Green's writing, I adored this. It was poetic and stunning and you should definitely buy it.

And now the 'love' part of the story: there's James, Will and Ace. Ace is the jock boyfriend who after losing her memory, our amnesiac protagonist Naomi can't fathom how she ever liked him. Needless to say, their relationship doesn't last long and I can't say I was upset (as is intended). Then there's Will, Naomi's best friend who could be blamed as the cause for her leaping down the stairs, but that's a bit harsh. Anyway, Will's the one who loves vintage things and didn't sound too bad in the looks department either. His and Naomi's relationship - as friends and sometimes more - is a bit of a rollercoaster ride in this book and I really liked it. And finally James who just happened to be there the day Naomi hit her head. I pictured him as Jeremy Irvine for some reason and I think it suits him quite well. Anyway, he's a bit mysterious and his and Naomi's common factors bring them together. I have to say, I was sad when the inevitable happens and it fizzles out over a cup of coffee.

I adored this book and highly recommend it. No doubt I'll re-read this in the future, and I also have a small queue of friends who I'm lending this book out to. So go read! 5/5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment