Monday, 28 January 2013

John Green | Looking for Alaska

I suppose I was somewhat disappointed with this book. I'd requested it as a Christmas present because of my indirect Tumblr recommends (if you have a Tumblr you'll probably know what I mean), i.e. it was one of the most photographed and quoted books on there, just like Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close. I was intrigued and decided to get it.

Don't get me wrong, there are some great characters and it's not like there isn't at least one BIG SHOCKER in the middle (that's a clue by the way), but I was hoping for a book I'd instantly fall in love with, one that I'll always take on holiday with me, like The Forgotten Garden, Before I Die and Nausea.

What I liked about this book better than, for example, Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close, is the sense of mostly solving and closing the case. In this case, it was the mystery of (spoiler) Alaska's death. I liked how the search for an answer seemed drained until all of a sudden Pudge spots the daisy doodles on the wall under the phone. I liked the lighthearted pranks and I liked the idea of the stacks and stacks of old books in Alaska's room. What I really liked was the two main quotes throughout the book: 'How will I ever get out of this labyrinth?' and 'I go to seek a great perhaps'.

All in all I wasn't entirely satisfied with the story; I felt it was quite average and didn't affect me in a way that I hoped it would. Therefore, I give this book an unhappy 2.5/5.

No comments:

Post a Comment